The excursion "Temples of Volgograd" tells about the history of the temples of our city. During the tour you will get acquainted with the main sights of not only the city, but also Christian shrines of Volgograd, learn about Christian customs and get acquainted with the architecture and history of building temples.
What to expect
The main purpose of the excursion is to join the Orthodox traditions. In Volgograd, as in many other cities, Orthodox churches are being built and restored. Spiritual revival of Russia is impossible without resorting to our sources.
Tourists will visit the main temples of Volgograd.
- St. John the Baptist Church. There are: icons of the 17th century. - Smolensk Mother of God (1665), four Gospels of the XVII century. (1677, 1685, 1697, 1698); the altar cross with the relics of Saints Peter and Paul (their names are in the inscription on the cross, and also date is 1689) and many other ancient objects. Nearby, on the embankment sheltered a small wooden Iberian chapel.
- Kazan Cathedral is the main temple of our city, built in 1899 for three years at the expense of parishioners. Located in Voroshilovsky district of Volgograd. The cathedral celebrated its 110th anniversary. Few people know that originally it was a churchyard church. The temple was built in the pseudo-Russian tradition characteristic of the time. Later the refectory and the bell tower were completed. During the Great Patriotic War, it was badly damaged.
- The temple-monument of Sergius of Radonezh - the first constructed after the revolution for charitable means. In this temple there is a cancer with a part of the relics of the holy saint Nikolai Merlikiy, brought to the temple of St. Sergius of Radonezh from the Italian city of Bari.
- Holy Spirit (Iliodor) monastery is a restored temple. Its construction began in 1908 with the church church. Already in 1913 it was transformed into a women's one, in 1918 it was dissolved, and the buildings were given for housing. Later it housed public cinema and reading room. After the war, units of the railway troops were quartered in it, which in 1952 dismantled the buildings.
- The Church of St. Nikita the Confessor (1782-1795) is the most ancient monument of Russian architecture of the XVIII century, Volgograd, which has reached us. Built on the funds of General NA. Beketov, a favorite of the Empress Elizabeth, the former governor of the Astrakhan region. For its construction was built a brick factory. Of all the palace buildings of the general, only the church has survived. Later, already under the tutelage of another coter - a Cossack colonel was built a refectory and a bell tower. At the church there was a school of literacy and a parochial school.
- The Church of St. Paraskeva of Friday was built in 1915 by the Tsaritsyn merchant V.O. Lapshin for the forgiveness of the sins of his son who was shot. She was in the sawmill. Before the First World War, it did not even have time to paint the walls and establish the iconostasis. And after the revolution, the church was knocked down from the church and turned into a working club. There was a nail shop and military depots in it.
- The Church of All Saints on Mamayev Kurgan is consecrated and opened on May 9, 2005, on the day of the 60th anniversary of the Victory in the Great Patriotic War. The pyatikupolny temple rises on the main height of Russia, which in the charts on the days of the Battle of Stalingrad was listed as height, 102.0. This temple-monument is dedicated to all those who died during the wars on our land and abroad.