Katun is the "mistress", the queen of the Altai rivers, a wayward, stormy and beautiful river, taking in its course dozens of streams, rivers and rivers. Where does it begin? In the mountains, at an altitude of about 2 thousand meters, in the grotto of the Gebler glacier the beautiful Katun begins.
What to expect
Tourists will see not only the source of Katun, but also the most picturesque places of its basin - for example, along the Ozernaya River, which flows into Katun. The highlight of the route will also be the amazingly beautiful Lake Talmennoye. This is the largest reservoir in the upper Katun, the water area and coastal zone of which is part of the Katunsky Biosphere Reserve, recognized as part of the UNESCO World Heritage Fund. The route is designed for trained tourists. Passes through the wild places of the Ust-Koksinsky region and is remarkable for its panoramic panoramas of mountain ranges and valleys, almost untapped by tourists, will be especially interesting for lovers of wild, pristine nature, rare plant species.
Tourist complex "Taezhnik" - Village Kaytanak - Urochische Maly Sugash.
Day of moving to the starting point of the active part of the route. Tourists expect a day trip with a length of about 350 km, part of the way runs along the famous Chui highway, then the road goes to the south-west in the direction of Ust-Koksi and further about 30 km to a small village of Kaitanak. The group will overcome a number of passes (Seminsky, or Chakyr, as well as Yaboganskiy), including the breathtaking Gromotukha Pass just before the entrance to Ust-Koksu. At the end of the tour, tourists are waiting for a winter residence - a parking lot equipped with a wooden house and a sauna. The last 8 kilometers of the road - from Kaytanak to the parking lot on the Maly Sugash River - tourists will overcome on horseback. On the way there are parking lots for taking photos in the most picturesque places, as well as lunch and snacks. In the evening, tourists are waiting for a sauna and bonfire dating.
2. The Day
The tract of Small Sugash - the Pass Cheltash - The tract of the Hare - The River Silent Dog.
On this day, tourists will dismantle horses, load their personal items and provisions on them and set out on their journey. First, the trail will follow the valley of the Katun River to the mouth of the Bolshaya Sugash River, from where the path begins to rise upward towards the Cold Squirrels to the Cheltush Pass, from which a panorama of the spurs of the Katunsky Range opens. The crests of the passes, creeping one on another, distant squirrels - cold and inaccessible, valley-hollows stretching for many kilometers, winding ribbons of rivers, seeming from the height of thin snakes - and as always only one thought: in the photo of this volume and space you will not save! Descent from the pass to the valley of the river Zaichonok. Another small pass and the goal of the day is achieved. The camp is broken on the river Silent Dog.
3. The Day
River Silent Dog - River Travel Dog - Pass Bolsherechensky - Trans. Hariuzovsky - Lake Talmenje.
Tourists have to overcome several passes and ferment the river Silent Dog. The path to the lake lies between the passes of the Katunsky ridge, about 2 thousand meters high, which seem endless. But efforts to overcome them are compensated by a beautiful view that opens from a height. The mountain rivers are fast and stony, but they will not be difficult to overcome - the horses are accustomed to cold water. Against the backdrop of rumbling streams, the River Tikhaya Sobachya stands out - there are truly quiet creeks with large stones, from which the streams of water flow smoothly. From here begins the ascent to the Bolsherechensky pass. The Bolsherechensky Pass is characterized by a rather large length and severe weather conditions. The path is partly rocky, partially overgrown with bushes and grass. At the top of the pass, even in summer, it can be wet snow. Pass Hariuzovsky pretty cool. Usually it is overcome on foot, leading the horses in occasion. A steep rise of about 500-700 meters - and in front of you opens a surprisingly beautiful lake, turquoise and calm, like a handful of water, sandwiched between two ridges, like in the hands of a giant.
4. The Day
A day at the Talmennoye Lake.
Talmen'e (Taimen'e, Talmennoe) the lake is located at an altitude of about 1,500 m above sea level on the southern slope of the western part of the Katun Ridge a hundred kilometers from the nearest settlement. This is the largest lake in the upper Katun, about one and a half kilometers in length, with a maximum depth of 68 m. Here there are grayling and lenok, relic fish, which the discoverers took for the talmen. The lake is a natural monument and is a part of the Katun Reserve. In its environs, there are 15 species of rare plants and about 30 species of wild animals, including lynx, sable and even snow leopard. On the western shore of the lake there is a cordon where the huntsmen live. There are gazebos, a sauna, wooden houses for tourists, electricity, motor boats. Katunsky ridge is distinguished by the fact that in summer there prevails mainly warm and sunny weather. The shores of the lake are gentle, and therefore you can swim peacefully here - in hot weather the water warms up in the coastal zone. If the weather permits, then it is possible to make an excursion to the opposite shore of Talmennoye Lake. On a motor boat, the group will travel to the eastern shore of the lake in a protected area. Walking on the water surface will bring a lot of positive emotions. This beautiful lake with greenish-turquoise water stretched for a length of 5420 m. Its basin was formed by the movement of an ancient glacier, which left at the end of its path a morainic shaft, a springing lake. The maximum width of the Talmen Lake is 1080 m, and the average is 700 m. The eastern coast is flat, densely overgrown with larch forest with an admixture of cedar. The western coast is steep, with larch woodlands and high-grass subalpine meadows, on this shore there are sections of steep cliffs with a height of up to 100 m. The opposite shore gives the impression of absolute wildlife. The existence of a person here resembles only a gazebo, toilets, as well as prohibitory signs - you can not hunt on the shore, land helicopters, build bonfires. The group will walk along the river to a picturesque waterfall with a fall height of about 40 meters. By agreement with the huntsmen, fishing is possible for fishing.
5. The Day
Lake Taimennoye - The confluence of the rivers Turgen and Katun.
Movement along the top of the Katunsky Range. On the way rocky canyons, steep slopes and descents, eternal snow. Overnight stay among cedars near the mouth of the Turgen river.
6. The Day
The tract Turgen is the Kapchalsky glacier.
Movement along the Katun. On the way there will be many tracks of wild animals (bear, maral, roe deer), several fords across glacial rivers flowing into the Katun River. Overnight at the mouth of the Kapchal River, flowing from the glacier.
7. The Day
Radial access to the Gebler glacier.
Radial exit to the very source of Katun. You will pass several fords across the Katun River and reach the goal of the route - the Rasypnaya waterfall (15 m high). Katun flows from the ice cave of the Gebler glacier (the second name is Katunsky). The source of the Katun is milky, since it is made from a healing clay. Gebler Glacier is the largest glacier of Belukha Mountain on its southern slope. Named after Frederick August von Gebler, an outstanding natural scientist, geographer, corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Sciences. The glacier is 8.5 km long and has an area of 8.5 sq. M. km, feeding the source of the Katun itself, is composed of two main streams - the Eastern and the Middle, to which the tributary from the west adjoins, (according to Sapozhnikov, the Western stream).
8. The Day
Kapchal River - Turgen River.
Movement along a thick spruce taiga along the Katun.
9. The Day
The Turgen River is the Ozernaya River (Karchashka Market).
10. The Day
A day in the town of Kurchashka.
11. The Day
The Ozernaya River - Lake Talmennoye.
Return to the Talmennoye lake.
12. The DayLake Talmennoe - The River Silent Dog.
The way back passes through the already familiar to tourists passes. From the lake uphill you can climb a horse, and then you will have to overcome a small but steep descent on foot. As the group will meet this time, the Bolsherechensky Pass depends on the weather. Maybe it will snow here, or maybe the sun will shine. Overnight tourists will stand on the river Silent Dog. Here, in a quiet creek, you can fully swim, wash your clothes and just wash yourself.
13. The Day
The Silent Dog River - The Lap Zaichonok - The Cheltash Pass - The Big Sugash River - The Small Sugash tract.
The final day of the equestrian part of the route. Today the way of the group will flow mainly along valleys. But it will not be boring. Here and there, the plain is bordered by ridges and freakish skylines. It seems that the road that goes beyond the horizon rests on the clouds. After crossing the Bolshaya Sugash River, the group will return to the winter hut in Small Sugash. Here tourists are waited by rest, a bath and a farewell bonfire.
14. The Day
Village Kaytanak - Tourist Complex
Transfer to the tourist complex "Taezhnik". Bathhouse.
15. The Day
Attention!!! The time indicated is the local difference with Moscow +4! For those who ordered a transfer by tourist bus, departure according to the schedule for the chosen destinations altaiatour.ru/turists/4-vstrecha-turistov For those who ordered an individual transfer from Barnaul, the departure time is negotiated individually. Delivery to the airport of Gorno-Altaisk is carried out by the time of departure of the aircraft.Route description:
- The duration of the active part is 12 days
- The length of the route is 720 km (auto, starting point) + 284 km (horses) + 18 km (on foot) + 10 km (boat)
- - The itinerary is complex, to participate in it tourists should have experience of horseback riding in Mountainous Altai (it is recommended for beginners to first try their hand at the routes 162,161,164,167,172);
- - As personal equipment in the hike, you must have the things listed in the section "General information on active routes"
- - On a steep slope, stone placers and snowy areas, the horse is led around;
- - On the route there are 1-2 instructors, a groom;
- - Children under 14 years on the route are not allowed.
- - All necessary equipment is provided on the route
- - The route schedule may vary slightly depending on the weather conditions, in order to ensure safe passage of the route, at the discretion of the instructor;
What is included in an offer
- - 1. Transportation, according to the program of the tour
- - 2. Payment for tourist camps (payment for a place under tents in equipped tourist camping, or living in wooden houses if this is stipulated in the tour program)
- - 3. Bath, according to the program of the tour
- 4. Horses for rent
- - 5. Payment for the work of instructors, grooms.
- - 6. Payment of recreational fees
- - 7. Payment of accident insurance and medical insurance
- - 8. Three meals a day.
- - 9. Rental of equipment
What is NOT included in an offer
What should a client bring
1. A backpack, a suitcase or a large travel bag, that is what it is convenient to carry things to the base, on the route for the transportation of things special means are given out (archimak (saddlebag) and horse riding in horse rides, diesbeg - water hikes). An exception are hiking tours with equestrian accompaniment, for participation in such tours it is necessary to have a small backpack for carrying personal items.
2. Hiking shoes are desirable boots that can be leather, rubber, crocheted, the main thing is that they do not get wet and cover the bootleg from rubbing on the stirrup belt (push-up) or high boots
3. Sneakers or trekking shoes for radial outlets. Avoid new, not differentiated shoes.
4. Replacement shoes for rest in the camp (slates).
5. Comfortable clothes for horse crossings and pedestrian radial crossings - sports trousers that do not shackle movements made from light quick-drying material, without rough internal seams, shirt or long sleeve T-shirt.
6. A set of clothes for rest in the camp - trousers, shirt, shorts, T-shirt.
7. Warm sweater.
8. Warm jacket (synthetic or fluffy).
9. Warm hat (fleece or woolen).
10. Cap or Panama.
11. Gloves (suitable even for simple cotton).
12. Socks - 2-3 pairs of cotton or linen, 2 pairs of woolen
13. Waterproof raincoat or suit, resistant to heavy rain. On the horse route for protection from rain, OZK (Combined Arms Protection Kit) is issued - a long rubber cloak with a hood
14. Bathing suit.
15. Toiletries and hygienic supplies. Including hygienic lipstick and sun cream with a high protection factor.
16. Sunglasses protecting the eyes from ultraviolet rays in the mountains.
17. Small flashlight (head).
18. Individual medicines.
19. A small jar for water. You can use a 0.5 liter plastic bottle.
20. Camera or video camera (optional) with hermetic packaging.
21. Seat is a tourist (hobby).
22. Personal utensils (a plate, a spoon, a mug)
In addition to the water part: sneakers, any changeable shoes, at least 2 pairs of woolen and 2 pairs of elastic socks, a splash suit, The camera and a movie camera must have special sealed boxes or hermetically sealed packaging. It is recommended to have your own sleeping bag, designed for a temperature of -5 degrees. If not, the sleeping bag is issued.
The requirement to recruit personal belongings . Nothing superfluous and acute (without appropriate packages, capable of damaging the hermetic packaging). For the convenience of packaging and additional splash protection, we recommend the use of polyethylene bags.
IMPORTANT! Clothes for riding must be comfortable, not shackling the movement, not rustling. Pants made of dense soft fabric without rough internal seams.